Consultancy and Business Development
- Six month strategy development and business impact report (financial, operational and commercial business plan) for major Irish oil company. Options investigated included ship newbuilding, barge operations, port and terminal development and road transport.
- Development of floating hotel concept for the River Liffey.
- Development of a floating destination spa project for the UK market.
- Research and development of a business plan, under the Interreg funding requirements, relating to the viability of a “trans-Celtic” ro-ro service (i.e. Spain, France, Wales and Ireland).
- Academic research of the Irish shipping industry in an industrial cluster perspective, with particular reference to the Norwegian example.
- In partnership with one of the major international accountancy firms and on behalf of a number of clients, we have undertaken a series of close discussions with the Irish tax authorities on the interpretation of the Irish Tonnage Tax legislation.
- Investigation into the viability of an Ireland-Continent pallet carrier service for a major Irish trucking company.
- Engaged by major European RoRo and fast ferry operator to report on crew performance and integration after major restructuring.
- Investment appraisal, contract negotiations and newbuilding supervision of ocean-going fishing vessels in Turkey.
- Investment appraisal of cruise ship for Antarctic expedition tour operator.
- Investment appraisal and financial facilitation for a series of coastal bulk carrier newbuildings in China.
- Engaged by a major Irish port to review proposed port development and its economic and environmental impacts.
- Appointed by major Irish fishing organisation to investigate impacts of and to propose alterations to proposed new statutory requirements for fishing vessels, which involved consultations and meetings at ministerial level. A number of proposed improvements were accepted and implemented in the regulations.
- Presentation to the Irish banking industry of a number of investment projects in conjunction with major Norwegian shipping consultancy firm.
- Engaged by Hong Kong shipowners to carry out evaluation of Irish shipping finance possibilities.
- Engaged by Irish operator to advise on contractual negotiations and technical specifications of a mussel dredger in the Netherlands.
- Appointed by Irish shipowner to advise on contractual conditions, technical specification and building supervision of a small passenger vessel at Turkish yard.
- Engaged by Luxembourg-based company to develop business plan and negotiate with banks on funding for small expedition cruise ship.
- Technical, operational and crewing management of small luxury passenger ship.
- Corporate management of 16000 dwt IMO II chemical tanker and its Irish holding company.
- Technical and crewing management of 5 small bulkers.
- Technical and commercial management adviser to expedition cruise ship company.
- Ships – numerous surveys of damage to ships and quays on behalf of P&I clubs; numerous draft surveys, hull and engine condition surveys, pre-purchase surveys and valuation surveys; engaged by owners, buyers, banks, insurance companies, and/or third parties.
- Offshore Supply Vessels – pre-purchase surveys in West Africa for a series of vessels.
- Fishing vessels - numerous surveys: condition, stability, etc, engaged by owners, buyers and/or third parties.
- Cargoes - a series of surveys of wind farm machinery, appointed by shippers; also numerous surveys of alleged damaged cargoes, appointed by carriers, shippers and/or receivers.
- Yachts – numerous pre-purchase condition and/or damage surveys, engaged by owner, insurance company or third parties.
- Ports and Marinas - damage surveys; appointed by owner, P&I Club, insurance company, etc.
- Technical consultancy on major engine, accommodation and hull refit of Antarctic expedition cruise ship in Chile.
- Technical consultancy and construction supervision on newbuilding mussel dredger in Netherlands.
- Technical partner in a consortium delivering a complex newbuilding special purpose survey vessel in South Africa.
- Supervision of newbuilding high speed monohull pilot boat for Dublin Port.
- Supervision of newbuilding small bulk carrier in Germany.
- Planning and supervision of conversion of 3 x offshore supply ships into special purpose seismic support vessels, taking place in South Africa, Turkey and UK.
- Appointed to consultative panel for Galway Bay Wave Energy project.
- Numerous inclination tests carried out and stability booklets produced for fishing vessels, small passenger vessels and large yachts.
- Hull measurement, development of lines plans, buoyancy test and stability analysis for a number of vessels.
- Inclining test and development of new stability booklet following conversion of offshore supply ship to seismic support vessel.
- Engaged as Technical and Regulatory Adviser to the Federation of Irish Fishermen.